A serious concern about having actinic keratosis is its probable progression into squamous cell carcinoma. Squamous cells are involved by this type of skin cancer, and our skin is made up of squamous cells. Since this premalignant condition creates a health risk, you must get rid of it immediately.
Keratinocytes affected by UV radiation can mutate and deteriorate. Actinic keratosis possess the characteristics of a wart, although it’s cause is different. Keratin is the main component of our hair and nails, thus the term keratosis is coined. That gives actinic keratosis its rough and bumpy form.
You better be careful about that actinic keratosis if you don’t want it to turn to something worse. Squamous cells are easily damaged by UV rays because they are flat and thin. The best technique to prevent skin cancer is to be aware of skin lesions such as actinic keratosis.
Many treatments for actinic are now available, and its up to you which type of treatment would suit you best. Other things to consider are your financial abilities and the condition of your actinic keratosis.
Actinic Keratosis Removal Treatments
• Laser treatments could be the most effective but also a costly way of removing actinic keratosis. Specifically, CO2 and Er-YAG lasers are used for actinic keratosis.
• Electrocautery employs electricity in burning of the actinic keratosis.
• With the use of extremely low temperature to crumble damaged cells, cryosurgery removes actinic keratosis. Liquid nitrogen is used for this procedure.
• Although commonly used for chemotherapy, 5-fluorouracil also helps to alleviate actinic keratosis. This sort of cream works by stopping the further reproduction of abnormal cells. It is immediately absorbed by the abnormal cells than the healthy cells. With the use of this cream, many side effects can be experienced but you can expect that the results are going to be good.
• Imiquimod which goes by trade names Aldara or Beselna, is a cream which is classified as an immune response modifier. Great endurance and tolerance should be taken on your part to get optimum effects.
The abovementioned treatments are just some of the available treatments for actinic keratosis. You should consult a dermatologist or doctor before proceeding to a treatment so your overall health would be checked if you can undergo such treatments. By removing your actinic keratosis, you can now breathe easily without worrying about squamous cell carcinoma.